The Win Button
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey Jak, or anyone with a drawing tablet.

2 posters

Go down

Hey Jak, or anyone with a drawing tablet. Empty Hey Jak, or anyone with a drawing tablet.

Post  Open Circle Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:19 pm

I'm planning on getting a drawing tablet to make some of my art projects a little easier and better looking. Got any suggestions?

Keep in mind I have a budget, so I can't get anything over 100 bucks...
Open Circle
Open Circle
No not really

Back to top Go down

Hey Jak, or anyone with a drawing tablet. Empty Re: Hey Jak, or anyone with a drawing tablet.

Post  Static Jak Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:47 am

I'll build up a list when I get a chance but the first thing that comes to mind when I think of reliable Tablets it'd have to be Wacom. They generally have a mix of low and high end tablets so I'd definitely look into that. Plus they're generally a lot more supportive of Photoshop with both working hand in hand.
Though, I'm currently looking for another program to use when inking. I've never felt very comfortable with inking on Photoshop. It's usually hit or miss. Great for everything else though once you build up your custom brushes. I've heard good things about Manga Studio when it comes to inking.
Static Jak
Static Jak
No not really

Back to top Go down

Hey Jak, or anyone with a drawing tablet. Empty Re: Hey Jak, or anyone with a drawing tablet.

Post  Open Circle Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks man!

I'm checking out the Wacom Bamboo Tablet at the moment, and from what I've read in the reviews, it's pretty good for it's price and gets the job done.
Open Circle
Open Circle
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  Static Jak Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:33 pm

Open Circle wrote:Thanks man!

I'm checking out the Wacom Bamboo Tablet at the moment, and from what I've read in the reviews, it's pretty good for it's price and gets the job done.
That'd be a great Tablet to start with. It takes a while to get used to drawing and looking in a different direction. I found it best to focus on the cursor on screen and then just get a feel for it. You eventually get in synch with it like a mouse.
Static Jak
Static Jak
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  Open Circle Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:20 pm

Static Jak wrote:

That'd be a great Tablet to start with. It takes a while to get used to drawing and looking in a different direction. I found it best to focus on the cursor on screen and then just get a feel for it. You eventually get in synch with it like a mouse.
Cool!

You have any tips for sketching on GIMP or photoshop? Like should I start out sketching on a piece of paper then scan in into the computer, or should I do multiple layers?
Open Circle
Open Circle
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  Static Jak Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:49 pm

Open Circle wrote:
Static Jak wrote:

Cool!

You have any tips for sketching on GIMP or photoshop? Like should I start out sketching on a piece of paper then scan in into the computer, or should I do multiple layers?
I tend to sketch, ink and colour on Photoshop. Switching back and forward can get awkward. Once you're used to it you're fine. Though like I said I want to find a better inker. PS feels slightly "loose" no matter the brush I use. Good for everything else though. That's another thing, build up a nice brush collection. That more or less comes down to trial and error. You can find some good ones on Deviantart to start off.

I always use Layers. Couldn't live with them. For example, a simple picture like this one below is made up of around 20 layers. Just make sure to make a new layer before you start drawing so you don't draw on the background layer (original layer).
Hey Jak, or anyone with a drawing tablet. 4th_fi10

Also, draw big! Don't pick an A4 size. Make it a good bit bigger so you can have multiple sizes later.Plus when inking, shrinking the page down to normal sizes later sharpens it up a bit and hides any smaller wobbly lines and such. Make sure to set DPI (also called Resolution) to around 300-600 for good results too.
Static Jak
Static Jak
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  Static Jak Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:48 am

Btw, I just downloaded Paint Tool Sai. Completely free but I've to sit down and try it out. You can see it in action here even though this is a bit advanced but you get the idea:
Static Jak
Static Jak
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  Open Circle Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Hot damn...

Now you get me really excited in buying that bamboo tablet. Too bad I probably won't be able to get it and have it shipped to me until around Spring Break. The money that I get from working part time at a LAN gaming tournament in a month will go towards my tablet fund. Smile
Open Circle
Open Circle
No not really

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down